As usual at this time of year we have had an abundance of home grown xzucchinis. Sometimes you miss one and next thing its a giant... well first thing remove the seeds and save them for your next crop. then slice or grate the flesh to use in your favourite zucchini recipes.
Here is a delicious version of moussaka made with zucchini instead of the usual eggplant/aubergine.
I large zucchini
500 lamb mince
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 t cinnamon
4 tomatoes, chopped or a 400g can of crushed tomatoes
2T plain flour
1 t mustard
11/2 cups milk
salt and pepper
1 cup grated cheese
1 Slice zucchini into 1/2 cm slices lengthwise.
2 Heat oil in large saucepan and sweat onion 5 mins. add garlic and mince and cinnamon and stir until brown.
3. Add tomatoes and simmer 10 mins. Season to taste.
4. In a pan, melt butter. Remove from heat and stir in flour and mustard. Place back on heat and stir constantly for 1 min.
5. Remove from heat and blend in milk. Place back onto heat and stir constantly until boiling.
6. Assemble Moussaka; layer 1/2 the zucchini, then 1/2 the meat sauce. Sprinkle with cheese and layer with the rest of the zucchini slices and meat sauce. Cover with white sauce ( a little more milk can be blended through to make a pouring consistency) and top with cheese.
7. Bake at 180 deg C for 1hour. Serve with a green salad.