Have you seen the wonderful movie Julie and Julia? Had a great night out at Food and Flicks at Reidsdale, just south of Braidwood. The beautiful venue...outdoors in the bush at the Old Cheese Factory. More information is available at www.braidwoodmade.com.au.
Back to the movie, what a great story. It's about Julia Child's story of her start in the cooking profession and is intertwined with blogger Julie Powell's 2002 challenge to cook all the recipes in Child's first book. It motivated me to write something about my passion for food.
As it is approaching the end of summer the garden is brimming with ripening tomatoes, lots of cucumbers, chillies and zucchinis. So the challenge is to preserve them for use when they aren't in season.
I have a great recipe for Crisp Cucumber Pickle Slices, here it is.
Crisp Cucumber Pickle Slices
2 kg Lebanese cucumbers
3 medium onions
2 cloves garlic
1/3 cup coarse cooking salt
2 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
1 t turmeric
1/2 t celery seeds
1 t mustard seeds
- Slice cucumbers thinly, do not peel, slice onions (I use white onions), peel garlic. Place in a large bowl.
- Sprinkle with the salt and cover with crushed ice for 4 hours at least. Drain well. Slice garlic if you want to.
- Mix all other ingredients in a large saucepan, bring to boil stirring constantly, add cucumbers.
- Pour into warm sterilised jars and seal immediately.
- Sterilised jars by placing 1 cm water in the bottom and microwave on high power for 1 minute in the microwave. Do not place metal lids in microwave. To sterilise lids place in bowl and pour boiling water over.
- Preserves should be labeled with the title, date, ingredients and name of cook.
- Abr: t = teaspoon T = tablespoon