Passionfruit Yoghurt Cake
An easy and delicious cake recipe..
My favourite is made using frozen berries and low fat berry flavoured yoghurt... I like frozen 3 berry mix including blackberries, blueberries and raspberries when fresh berries are not in season.
This cake works well without the sugar for diabetic diets. It can be sweetened with a smear of berry fruit spread... and for a bit of indulgence a dollop of cream...
1 cup (250 ml) fruit flavoured low fat yoghurt... berry or passionfruit
3/4 cup castor sugar (optional)
1/3 cup (80 ml) olive oil
1 t pure vanilla essence
1 T light rum
2 (300g) cups plain flour
11/2 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1 cup of frozen 3 berry mix or pulp of 2 passionfruit
- Preheat the oven to 180° C (350° F), line the bottom and sides of a round 25-cm (10-inch) cake pan or 24cm x 11cm loaf tin with baking paper.
- In a large mixing-bowl, gently combine the yoghurt, eggs, sugar, vanilla, oil, and rum. In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the flour mixture into the yogurt mixture, and blend together -- don't overwork the dough.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan, and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the top is golden brown and a cake tester comes out clean.
- Let stand for ten minutes, and transfer onto a rack to cool.